Trustees and Associates
Charity No. 313712
Dr. Michael Strain, Secretary
Angella Hodgson, Facilitator Training Co-ordinator
Dame Tamsyn Imison, Past Chair
Dr. Rene Saran
Dr. Patricia Shipley
Administrator and Treasurer
Links with International Socratic Groups
We are in the process of updating our website and would like some feedback, if you could take a few minutes of your time to complete the answer the following questions it would be much appreciated.
It should take no more than 10 mins of your time.
In recent years SFCP has
- Arranged Socratic seminars for students in secondary schools, teachers of mathematics, education managers and other groups from a variety of occupational backgrounds.
- Introduced educationists to a Socratic approach to learning and teaching. With the introduction of citizenship into the UK school curriculum, and a growing interest in philosophy, SFCP is focusing more on acquainting teachers with the Socratic method as a valuable tool for these developing subjects.
- Sponsored Scholarly Research at doctoral and post-doctoral levels;
- Trained new Socratic facilitators. Weekend dialogues may be arranged, facilitated by trainee facilitators.
- Established Occasional Working Papers in Ethics and Critical Philosophy and published books.
- Developed European networks to extend interest in critical philosophy and Socratic Dialogue among professionals across a range of disciplines, and to encourage the fostering of ethical practice in everyday life. A two-day residential conference was convened in 1999 on “Ethics in Practice in the 21st Century”.
- Managed a mailing list of people interested in the activities of SFCP. A news bulletin is sent out from time to time and publications like the Occasional Working Papers mentioned above are listed and available on request.
- Expanded its international co-operation with its sister organisations the PPA (Philosophisch-Politische Akademie) and the Dutch Network (see below) to organise a number of International Conferences and International Socratic Dialogues.
SfCP Bulletin 13 Autumn 2014
Programme of Socratic Dialogues to take place in Germany in 2015
English speaking groups will take place at each event.
for further information please contact
Grete Hermann Workshop
Grete Henry-Hermann (1901-1984) was a brilliant critical philosopher and philosopher of science, who collaborated in Nelson’s scholarly work, was active in resistance activity in Nazi Germany, and later as a refugee in Britain. She took part actively in post war German democratic politics, teacher training, and chairing Nelson’s Academy. Though less well known as a mathematician, she shared developing ideas with the pioneers of quantum physics.